||ESKOM Tugela (0-4-0)
||Colenso power station was built by the South African Railways in the 1920s to supply power to the electrified Glencoe to Pietermaritzburg section of the Natal mainline. The power station was sold to the Electricity Supply Commission (Eskom) in 1927. In 1935 the power station acquired the Tugela, a 0-4-0 fireless steam locomotive, for use as shunter. Instead of a boiler, this locomotive type has a large insulated pressure vessel to hold steam under pressure, suitable for yard work at sites where large steam generating plants are available to recharge the pressure vessel. Tugela was built by R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie and Company and served at Colenso power station until it was closed in 1984.
||6/29/2012 Upload Date: 7/7/2013 8:37:14 PM
||Colenso, ZN, ZA
||259 Comments: 0