|Between 1954 and 1958 the South African Railways placed one hundred and twenty Class GMA branch line and Class GMAM mainline Garratt articulated steam locomotives with a 4-8-2+2-8-4 wheel arrangement in service. This was the most numerous Garratt class in the world and was built in four batches by Henschel and Son, Beyer, Peacock and Company and North British Locomotive Company. Numbered in the range from 4051 to 4170, the light rail branch line Class GMA and mainline Class GMAM Garratt locomotives were identical and their water and coal capacities were adjusted to suit the rail capacity by installing or removing plates in the coal and water spaces. The locomotive carried water in its front tank only and the water supply was augmented by semi-permanently coupling a purpose-built Type X-20 auxiliary tank wagon to the locomotive.
See also the Wikipedia article on the South African Class GMA 4-8-2+2-8-4.
Capital Park, Pretoria, GP, ZA
Col André Kritzinger
Author: Col Andre Kritzinger
|Picture Categories: Steam
|| This picture is part of album: South African Steam Locomotives